Chris and I have naturally started traditions when it comes to the holidays, even before we got married. I love having something that is ours that we have created as a family, and I can’t wait to build more traditions when we eventually expand our family.
The National Christmas Tree! I had never visited the tree until we spontaneously decided to go for a date shortly after we started dating, and now, three years later, it’s something I look forward to every year.
Wreaths Across America! Even though I’ve participated in Wreaths Across America for three years, this year was the first year Chris could participate, so I’d really like to continue that!
Holiday Pajamas: Growing up, my one gift on Christmas Eve was always holiday pajamas, and I have loved this tradition for as long as I can remember. This one is definitely staying with us and our children which we’ll have one day.
…and we open one gift on Christmas eve: This goes along with the holiday pajamas, but since my parents still get them for us, we get an extra gift to open from each other as a warm up for Christmas morning.
Sometimes, someone gets realllllly excited.
This year, Christmas has seemed extra special to me since it’s our first one as a married couple. Cheesy, right? Welp, it is what it is! I’ve been all aboard the holiday train and have really wanted to start traditions this year which has been fun. So, what’s new you might ask?
We did the holiday concert at DAR which is held every year, and I’d love to do that annually!
We put our tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving and I’ve loved having it up the entire month of December.
…and we did the Christmas lights at the National Zoo!
So what’s missing from my list of holiday traditions that we haven’t done?
1. Making a gingerbread house
2. Elf on the Shelf (I suppose we need a kid for that!)
Not too shabby! Any other holiday traditions I’m missing out on?!
Now, on to a holiday tradition survey:
1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? I like both, but I especially like eggnog
2. Does Santa wrap presents or leave them under the tree? Santa and his elves wrap everything.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We got super colorful LED lights for the tree this year and I love them.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? We don’t, but we should.
5. When do you hang your decorations up? The weekend after Thanksgiving.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (besides dessert)? Probably turkey or mashed potatoes.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I just remember being soooooo excited on Christmas Eve, and I loved that feeling of waking up on Christmas day knowing it had finally arrived. When I was five years old, I asked my mom point-blank if Santa existed and she refused to lie to me, so I sucked the fun out of that pretty early on, but it didn’t ruin anything. My parents had a rule that I couldn’t get out of bed until 7am and wake them up for presents, so I would wake up, lay in bed and just stare at the clock until it hit 7am. Then, I’d bolt to their room where my mom would take her time getting her robe on, make coffee cake and coffee and somewhere around 8am, we’d finally get to the opening of gifts…7am my ass!
8. What is on your Christmas wish list?
This year I really want a specific pair of Toms
, the entire series of Friends
on DVD, maybe a new camera, and a watch, but those are really the only “specific” wishes I have.
9. Do you open any gifts on Christmas Eve? Christmas pajamas from my parents, and one gift each from under the tree.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? We definitely don’t have a theme. This year we went with red and gold with some other random ornaments thrown in. We do colorful lights but no garland or tinsel. We also have a cute tree skirt!
11. Snow. Love it or dread it? I love it for the first day or so, then I’m completely over it. I enjoy it on the weekends if I have time to be snowed in, but when I have to venture out into it, I can’t stand it.
12. Real tree of fake tree? I like both. I hope one year we can trek out to a tree farm and pick out our own, but for the majority of my life, I’ve had a fake tree. I really do like both, but the clean up and maintenance of a real tree is a big turn off.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I really can’t name one specific gift that was the end all be all of Christmas gifts. I remember going nuts over Cabbage Patch kids and Pound Puppies as a kid, but as I’ve gotten older, kindles and cameras have been big highlights with me.
14. What is the most important thing about Christmas for you? Spending time with family, laughing and building new traditions.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Pumpkin pie!
16. What is your favorite tradition? I think visiting the National Christmas Tree. Honestly, there isn’t much to do other than just look at it, but there’s something about being there with other people who want to be festive that makes it really fun.
17. What tops your tree? A gold sparkly star. I’m pretty sure it’s temporary because Chris wants one that lights up.
18. Do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving gifts is my favorite!!
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Santa Baby
20. Candy Canes, yuck or yum? Ick.
21. Favorite Christmas Movie? Mixed Nuts
22. What do you leave for Santa? A whole lotta nothing.
23. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition? Cinnamon rolls and opening gifts before spending time with our families.
24. Do you prefer to shop online or at the mall? I couldn’t tell you the last time I did any shopping at the mall for the holidays. With all of the free shipping offers and promo codes I can find online, it’s absolutely the way to go for me.
25. Christmas letter, or Christmas card? We did a Christmas photo card this year. I loved sending them, and I loved receiving them!
SIX MORE DAYS TIL CHRISTMAS!!!