Surgery is over and it was a success!  I’m so happy and relieved that it’s over, but I’m definitely uncomfortable and in a lot of pain.

We were at the hospital at 7am yesterday and the morning moved pretty quickly.  I registered, they took Chris and me back to the pre-op room where they asked me for my life history (at least three times), and gave me my IV.  The nurse gave me a shot of lidocaine to lessen the pain of the IV and she did a really great job.  I was also able to reiterate my concerns about waking up sick from the anesthesia, and everyone reassured me that they would do everything they could to prevent me from waking up sick.

Here I am! Chris was nice enough to take this picture of me about an hour before surgery.

Promptly at 9, they came to get me to take me back to the OR.  I didn’t cry when they took me away from Chris, so that was good.

When we got into the OR, they had music playing and “Girls just wanna have fun” was on.  Kind of funny, actually.  They had me get onto the actual operating table and it got really cold.  They put some warm blankets on me, had oxygen coming in through the mask on my face, and a few minutes later, the scent in the mask changed and they told me to take 2 deep breaths.  As soon as I did, I couldn’t fight my eyes from closing and I was out.

I woke up in recovery about 1.5 hours later and felt pretty good.  I kept wanting to talk and open my eyes, but my body was not cooperating.  I wanted to badly to see Chris and my parents, but I literally could not verbalize it.  The nurses told me that I slept for about another hour before I could actually get my words out.  I vividly remember saying out loud “can i see my family now?” and the nurse said that I was ready, and she wheeled me into the private recovery room.

I was so thankful that I had no nausea or throwing up – I was just terribly groggy.

The nurse left to get the fam and a few minutes later, I saw my mom walk by and I whispered in a horribly scratchy voice “Over here!!”

We waited at the hospital until about 3pm before we began the drive home.  I was actually feeling good around 1pm, but I was so groggy that I couldn’t stay awake long enough to actually get out of the bed, so that delayed our departure a little bit.

Chris picked me up in the front of the hospital and we jumped on 66 to head home.  However, we only made it about 10 minutes into the ride before the nausea from the medicine and the movement of the car got to me and I started getting sick in the car.  Luckily my parents live almost exactly halfway between Arlington and Leesburg, so they were a great place to stop while I could get it together.  I took a long nap, my stomach felt better and we finally headed home around 7pm.

When we pulled up to the house, we were greeted with this:

Once we were in the house, Chris opened the boxes of flowers and we went through the cards.  Everything is so pretty and cheerful!

Thanks to Kirsten, Kim, Linda, Auntie, Cyndi and Omi for all of the beautiful flowers.

I was in bed by about 8pm and slept surprisingly well throughout the night.  I woke up every few hours to use the bathroom and take my pain medication, but otherwise, it was a pretty decent night of sleep – especially because I had to sleep on my back, halfway sitting up.

This morning, I was up at 7:30am feeling a lot less groggy than I did yesterday.  However, the pain is pretty intense.  I’m okay if I’m laying flat or on the couch, but to stand, walk or sit down, the pain is a lot more than I imagined.  They sent me home from the hospital yesterday with Tylenol 3 with codeine since I don’t do well on narcotics (vomiting, passing out, etc..), but today, it became obvious that the Tylenol 3 just isn’t doing the trick.  Currently, Chris is at the pharmacy getting an additional prescription for percocet filled for me…hopefully that will ease the pain.  I’m nervous to take it though just based on my past experiences with Vicodin which is not as strong.  My plan is to see if I can just fight it out on the Tylenol 3 and hold off on taking the Percocet as long as possible.  But, it’s better to have it in the house just in case, especially since tomorrow is a Sunday and everything will be closed.

And let me just say, Chris has exceeded my expectations in the “taking care of Natalie” department.  He’s been so thoughtful, so helpful, so caring and kind.  I hate feeling so helpless and needing to rely on him for everything, but he has just really stepped up and been so great.  I feel so grateful and lucky.

I think it’s almost time for an N-A-P.  I just munched on some saltines and gatorade which has made me sleepy, and my eyelids closing in on me fast.

Like my new diet?

Thanks again to everyone for the warm wishes and caring thoughts – I’m very appreciative.  Now it’s just getting through this recovery and moving on.  Viva feeling better!


One thought on “Recovery

  1. Hooray! I’m so glad this surgery is over and behind you!!!
    Its good to know that you have someone so great to take care of you! :) Way to go Chris!!
    I hope that the pain has gotten progressively easier to deal with Nat! :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s