Tonights dinner was a big hit and I’m super happy about it. Chris said the other day that he was really craving wings, but with us eating healthier, we can’t exactly go to Glory Days and get a dozen. So, I got creative and found a recipe for a healthier version and even found a recipe for baked onion rings. I added a little sauteed spinach for a splash of green on the plate and we were done.
The only downside to tonight was that it took a little while to make the entire meal, so we ate later, therefor delaying my trip to the gym. Workout was eh. I was still full from dinner and I was in between a 45 year old lady going a billion miles an hour on the elliptical, and on my other side was a seven year old running 20 miles an hour on the treadmill. Sense of inadequacy, much? Whatever, I got my 30 minutes in and I’m glad that I did.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into finger-sized pieces
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c Japanese panko-style bread crumbs (these give the wings an amazing “fried” look!!)
2 egg whites, beaten
1 T Frank’s Original Hot Sauce (don’t use Frank’s Buffalo Sauce — it’s not all that good)
1/4 c margarine (I like Smart Balance Light)
1/2 c Frank’s Hot Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with a nonstick spray.
2. In a bag, mix together flour, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. On a plate, mix the bread crumbs with the rest of the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt.
3. Shake the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour. Beat egg whites with 1 tablespoon water, and place egg mixture in a shallow dish or bowl. Dip seasoned chicken in egg mixture, then roll in the seasoned bread crumb mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Use tongs to turn pieces over. Bake 8 minutes longer, or until chicken juices run clear.
5. Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish. Stir in Frank’s hot sauce and pour mixture over the wings. Serve immediately.
Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1/2 • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pt
Calories: 74.7 • Fat: 0.6 g • Carb: 14.7 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Sugar: 1.7 g • Protein: 2.9 g
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 2 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup crushed corn flake crumbs
- salt to taste
- olive oil baking spray
Place slices of onion in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over the top and let them soak for about 1 – 2 hours, refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Combine panko, bread crumbs and corn flakes in a large dish, season with salt.
Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture; coat well. Place rings onto two cookie sheets. Lightly spray with oil. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.