Last night was a combination of wins and fails. Lessons were learned and today is another day.
Lesson One: Don’t leave your iPod at work when you’re planning on going to the gym.
I had a total workout fail because I could not get into it without my loud, blaring music screaming in my ears as I tried to fight the elliptical machine. Seriously, I made it 20 minutes before I flat out gave up. I even tried to plug in my headphones and watch the news or some kind of sitcom while working out, and even that didn’t keep me interested. I need my music. Mega fail.
Lesson Two: Cut into the chicken to make sure it’s 100% cooked before serving it for dinner.
My friend gave me this delicious recipe for almond crusted chicken served over spinach and I was very excited to make it last night. It was beautiful and delicious, until we cut into the thicker piece of meat and discovered it was pink. And cold. Dinner fail. Luckily microwaving it for a few minutes saved the meal, but theres seriously nothing worse than cutting into semi raw meat. At least it actually tasted good once it was cooked completely.
So to recap, the wins are: We went to the gym and we cooked dinner, but the fails are: my workout was a mess and dinner was kind of raw.
Tonight will definitely be better.
A) I’ll have my iPod
B) I’m modivated to make up for last night’s fail
C) I’m excited to make feta stuffed chicken with couscous and am determined to actually cook it entirely
D) I’m just convinced tonight will be better than last night – honestly, it couldn’t get much worse.
Happy almost Friday!
PS: Here’s the recipe for the Almond Crusted Chicken
- 4 small skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/4 lb. total)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) or fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 8 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
1. Place one chicken breast half between sheets of plastic wrap. With flat side of meat mallet, pound chicken to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness. Repeat with the remaining breast halves.
2. In shallow dish whisk together egg and buttermilk. In another shallow dish combine almonds, panko, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dip chicken breasts, one at a time, in egg mixture, turning to coat. Allow excess to drip off, then dip chicken pieces in almond mixture, turning to coat.
3. In 12-inch nonstick skillet cook chicken, half at a time if necessary, in hot oil over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
4. In same skillet cook shallot in drippings 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender, stirring frequently. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook and toss about 1 minute or just until spinach is wilted. Serve chicken with wilted spinach. Sprinkle pepper and mint. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4 servings
- Total Fat (g)11,
- Saturated Fat (g)1,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)5,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g)3,
- Cholesterol (mg)66,
- Sodium (mg)456,
- Carbohydrate (g)11,
- Total Sugar (g)2,
- Fiber (g)3,
- Protein (g)33,
- Vitamin C (DV%)31,
- Calcium (DV%)12,
- Iron (DV%)18,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet